Amazingly, aviator style glasses have been around since the 1930s. They certainly show no sign of going away. This is perhaps why aviator style sunglasses are deemed to be very manly. They were designed by Ray Ban for US fighter pilots in 1937. They don’t come any more manly than that!
The design of the large teardrop shaped lenses was so that the pilots could look down to their control panel, but their eyes would still be protected from the sunlight. This style is still used by active airman today. However, it’s become an essential choice of many civilians too. Ray-Ban are still making great aviator sunglasses now. For example, this pair of aviator sunglasses with hardly any negative points on all the reviews. So maybe your sunglasses will be aviator glasses this year.
Styles of Aviator Sunglasses
The original style of aviator sunglasses was a classic teardrop shape lens. These are still very functional sunglasses as they provide complete protection from the sun’s rays. However, this style does not suit all face shapes. Those people who have very long faces would be better with a different style of aviator sunglasses.
Classic Teardrop is the classic aviator look. It is a very functional style of sunglasses due to the protection it gives your eyes. As this style is wider at the top, then narrows at the bottom, this style does not suit people with a long face. This style would suit people with round, square or oval faces perfectly.
The navigator style of sunglasses is more squared than the traditional teardrop shape. People with longer faces suit this style well. This style will not suit those with square faces though.
If you are active but still want to wear aviator shades you can buy a sporty style. Sporty aviator sunglassesare squared off at the bottom with wide lenses. These are ideal for cycling or running as the glasses wrap around your face keeping more of the sun out.
- The classic aviator look has a metal frame. As the frame is metal this means they’re heavy. However, this does make them more durable. If you are prone to sitting on your sunglasses, then this may be a good choice for you. The colour of the metal can either be brass or silver.
- This is the modern version of the aviator sunglasses and they are available as they are made from plastic. They still have the Aviator shape but look different due to the thicker plastic frames. This gives the glasses a bolder look.
- You can buy aviator sunglasses that are a mix of plastic and metal. This mixture gives you a classic feel with a sporty look
Any sunglasses are available with different colour lenses. Aviator glasses are no exception. The colour of the lens is not a fashion statement but more away of allowing different amounts of light through.
- Brown lenses or for times of day when there is less sunlight. They are great to wear in the morning and later on in the day. They brighten your view and enable you to see details better. This makes them ideal for drivers or motorcyclists.
- Dark grey. Sunglasses with dark grey lenses conversely are good for really bright days as they reduce the amount of light coming through.
- Yes, you can even buy aviator glasses with mirrored lenses. These give you maximum protection from glare as they both absorb and reflect it. This makes them good for those near water as it will reduce the water glare.
- Green lenses are actually the classic original aviator colour lenses. These lenses are fairly neutral in terms of lightening and darkening.
If you are looking for a pair of aviator style sunglasses, you have a lot of options available for you. Not only can you choose the style and shape, but you can also choose the material and the lens colour. Whichever style you choose, make sure they fit you properly. A properly fitting pair of sunglasses is vital to prevent too much sun coming in around your glasses. So, buy a pair of aviator sunglasses, and know that you look cool.